Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sitting Here.

Right now, at this moment, I'm sitting in a hospital room watching my Granny sleep. On Friday, Mom and I had just gotten back from getting groceries. We had most of of the put away when my cousin, Cody, called and said to come up there asap.

Mom was freaked, of course. When it comes to her Mama or her kids...or her grandkids... OK, all her family. And her friends. She's gonna read this and give me a hard time. I don't panic. I can hear her now.

Anyway, Granny had fallen and was in alot of pain. She didn't want to go to the hospital and I told Cody to call the ambulance anyway.. but no, he wouldn't until she said so. It didn't take me long to convince her after I had checked her over. I just knew she had a broken hip. He finally called, and I sat there with her, holding her hand and talking to her.

When we got to the emergency room, she sat in a bed in the hall for close to three hours before she was finally moved into an exam room. It was another 2 hours before the doctor saw her, and another 4 hours before she was admitted. Yes, they were that busy. Mama and I stayed until the had her in a room and settled in before we went back home. I crawled into bed a little before 3:00 am.

We were back the next day for her surgery. She had to have her ball joint replaced. She was taken for surgery around 6:00 pm, and we were shown to the surgery waiting room. At around 6:30 pm, Dr, Hamidian came in to let us know that surgery had to be put on hold for around 2 hours. Why? Well, there was a hair over the scalpels and stuff. They didn't know if it was there when it was sterilized or if it had happened afterwards, but either way, they weren't taking any chances. They send their stuff out to be sterilized, so we had to wait 2 hours for it to get done.

So... We sat there and waited. Mama, her husband Mike, my husband Mike, Aunt Sis, Aunt Rita, Unc, and his wife, Christine. Oh, and me. We all sat there talking, eating dinner, and waiting. My Mike and I caught heck because we had our laptops there playing games, or just goofing on the Internet.

There's a little black phone in the waiting room. They call from the operating room to let you know when they start. After that, there's an hourly update. Once surgery had started, we got two updates, and then about 30 minutes after that, Dr. Hamidian was back, letting us know that she came through great and was in recovery.

Mike and I left shortly after that because we knew she had lots of people to give her loves, and that the sooner everyone cleared out, the sooner she could rest. We've been here about two hours now. She wakes up off and on, talking. Sometimes it's coherent, other times, I feel like we're trespassing in her dreams.

Granny, Mama, and I have a unique bond. We are all twenty years apart. Granny was born in August of 1941, Mama in June of 1962, and me in November of 1981. This year, Granny will turn 70, then I'll turn 30, then Mama will turn 50..... eventually. I can see Granny in me sometimes, and I can see her in my mother. We're all stubborn, intelligent, and amazing.

Fun fact before I go... When my grandmother was a teenager, she was a belly dancer and a snake charmer at the fair. Seriously.

Where every you are, I hope you can look at your Granny, or your Mama, and thank your lucky stars they are in your life. I can't imagine one day without either of mine.

Love to all,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment